Recent Posts

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »
Hi John, Thanks a lot for the reply. I have to say, I'm stumped. You dedicated a whole chapter in your new book to 'reframing' and the importance of it but now you've labelled reframing as a "completely ignorant travesty"? Slight contradiction but not to worry. I'm guessing I should just disregard that chapter then. Also, both of your books are full of other mental reframing examples. Even the concept of 'acceptance' is reframing your attitude towards emotions (you change your perception of them from 'bad' to neutral/good. You purposely choose to reframe your attitude about life by believing in a higher self, afterlife, reincarnation etc instead of just processing feelings related to having a lack of purpose/emptiness. 'Taking responsibility' for emotions is also an example of reframing. It's not been made clear about where to draw the line.

It's true that I probably haven't gotten to a core feeling yet, that's an interesting point! I assumed regret was a core feeling but I guess you're right. Thanks again John.
You have a good understanding of the principles, but I don't agree about 'reframing' emotions even though you say you were helped by doing so while you were also using the EC Process. Reframing, or seeing things differently, is what CBT relies upon, which I consider a completely ignorant travesty that has evolved psychology backwards, in line with the current backward evolution of society in general as technology advances. Reframing may spontaneously occur after feelings have been successfully integrated, but it is not part of the EC protocol. The whole thrust of the EC Process is to go beyond the mind and be present with the energetic experience of the feelings.

What I'm seeing here is that you may have been processing regret, but this is only a first-level emotion, and not a core feeling. (Similar to guilt and shame being first-level emotions, but the core feelings behind need to be addressed.) You have not indicated that you have been working with a core feeling, which would be something like insignificance, worthlessness, failure, not being good enough, etc., relating to the solar plexus Significance center. The core feeling is part of a dualistic syndrome such as accomplishment/insignificance. Striving for the positive will never bring the suppressed negative into balance, hence, the need for EC work.

Regarding your other question, I think you have a point, but once awareness realizes that it may be ok to live with some degree of confusion, it becomes a personal judgment call about when to allow confusion or seek to understand.
Hello again John.

I have a question about interpretation/ a shift in perception as a technique to use alongside processing emotions. For example, in Deep clearing {which, by the way, I wrote a review for on Amazon only for them to tell me that I had not spent enough money on my amazon account to write a review! So I will keep it saved and post it once I've spent enough}, you spoke about 'reframing your experience'- making a conscious decision to perceive a negative event/emotion as an opportunity to clear suppressed contents as opposed to seeing it as a burden. This was a really interesting part of the book and made me think about this topic in more detail. You also talk about how shame & guilt are unnecessary because they can be resolved with a reframed perception of why it is you feel shameful (bringing your understanding to a spiritual level and seeing the bigger picture). Both of these are examples of the importance of reframing your mindset instead of ONLY processing emotions with no mental involvement.

I was meditating on 'regret' and other emotions relating to feeling as if I had wasted my potential and fallen behind other people my age in terms of success and accomplishments and found it to be quite overwhelming, even though I was applying acceptance and witnessing correctly. I then tried to reframe my perception of these problems- I reminded myself that everyone has a unique, incomparable life path and that these feelings of regret and sadness are not actually steeped in any accuracy. I did this whilst simultaneously processing the feelings {witnessing the feelings but at the same time, realising that they don't resemble the truth} and I found it to be much more tolerable and pleasant. I also felt I had successfully released a significant amount of those particular feelings after doing it every day for a week. In the same breath, I was worried that I was not FULLY experiencing the emotions because I am conscious of the fact that EC is very cautious around using thoughts to wash out negative emotions.

It also reminded me of the famous Roosevelt quote "Comparison is the thief of joy". What do you think of this approach?

Also, another quick question if I may. It's about confusion. This forum is a brilliant platform and helps to resolve confusion for a lot of EC followers, but do you think sometimes we (the human race in general) are too quick to ask detailed questions in exchange for detailed answers as opposed to accepting and experiencing the confusion and maybe frustration around not having everything 'figured out'? This is relating to page 112 of deep clearing where you label 'confusion' and 'distress' as valid  emotions to process instead of "Overemphasizing logical thinking as a means to resolve issues." So when do we draw the line between getting a good understanding of a topic and processing the confusion as a valid emotion?

Thanks John, I hope these questions are somewhat interesting.
THE EMOTIONAL CLEARING PROCESS / Re: friendly questions
« Last post by Kat on November 17, 2022 »
John,

Many thanks for your great answer! I got it all. Especially like the part about "The goal of the philosophy of dualistic awareness is always to transcend attachment to the positive and aversion to the negative. In so doing, we evolve past being trapped in any particular lower self dualistic syndrome."

Now: Do you have any ability to "divine" winning lottery numbers? If not, I won't think any less of you. . . .  :D 

Until next time,

Kat
THE EMOTIONAL CLEARING PROCESS / Re: friendly questions
« Last post by John Ruskan on November 16, 2022 »
Interesting questions, but here's where you're going wrong: "why spend time disidentifying with the lower Self; why not honor it as much as you do your Higher Self." Maybe this point is made better in Deep Clearing, but a central idea of EC work is to validate (accept, acknowledge, experience, honor) lower self feelings and spend quality time with them instead of unconsciously rejecting (dishonoring) them. Breaking identification is not the same as dishonoring. Unconscious identification with lower self attributes (body, emotions, thoughts, intellect) is the quagmire from which we are attempting to evolve. Shifting awareness to the higher self through witnessing has always been the emphasis of traditional Eastern enlightenment. The EC philosophy imparts a new attitude towards the lower self which I would say does indeed truly honor it without being enmeshed in it.

As you bring heightened enlightened awareness to the lower self, you can think of it as co-existing as a dualistic complement to the higher self if you want but your goal is always to maintain witnessing detachment of the lower self while at the same time recognizing and honoring it. In other words, you are 'owning' the lower self while detaching. You could say you are identifying with it in a new, more enlightened way. The goal of the philosophy of dualistic awareness is always to transcend attachment to the positive and aversion to the negative. In so doing, we evolve past being trapped in any particular lower self dualistic syndrome.
THE EMOTIONAL CLEARING PROCESS / friendly questions
« Last post by Kat on November 15, 2022 »
Hello John,

I have some friendly questions for you.

This year, in one of your books, I was happy to find a detailed explanation of the word "opposites"--e.g., night and day, black and white, hot and cold, etc. According to you, and I agree with your position on the matter, each pair of opposites contains a complement of the other half. So when I read on page 185 of Emotional Clearing that we humans aren't really our Lower Selves, we're our Higher Selves, and that we shouldn't identify with the Lower Self--I became confused.

Thus, if dualities are always going to exist in everything, no matter how much we evolve or how much external conditions change, why can we not, as students of spiritual development, solidly identify with both of our Selves? Of course, your textbooks clearly speak to the need to accept, own, experience,  witness, and integrate the feelings, emotions, and all of the projections coming from the Lower Self, but your written narratives seem to stop short of identifying with the Lower Self.

Therefore, my end concern here is: If both Selves are always going to be present, no matter how spiritually advanced we become, after a certain point (when the student is ready, of course), why spend time disidentifying with the lower Self; why not honor it as much as you do your Higher Self, because it's one half of a never-ending psychological-spiritual continuum? Another thing: Could identifying with both the higher and lower selves be an unspoken goal of all spiritual practice? Just asking ....  :D

Is it possible this post contains signs that my Higher Self has become more visible to me and has intimated it has always unreservedly accepted all of me?

I can easily drop these speculations if need be and simply return to the rest of my spiritual practice, applying the instructions from your books, which seem absolutely spot-on to me! After all, I just started working with Emotional/Deep Clearing in July, so I can't claim to be any sort of expert. Just eager to learn and be all that I can.

Thanks for an answer, whatever it is . . . .

With Love,

Kat 
Thank you, John.  I appreciate your reply.
Yes, when I say 'alpha' I'm implying alpha or lower, so the 4 - 12 range is fine, and the extra nature sounds are ok as well.

Thanks for the Amazon review!
THE EMOTIONAL CLEARING PROCESS / Re: Getting off xanax
« Last post by Dean on November 10, 2022 »
I don't know the right answer but thought I'd share that I am thinking similar things.  Been on antidepressants for over 25 years.  Current regimen is 300mg bupropion, 300 mg venlafaxine, supplemented with L-Methylfolate and fish oil.

Been doing EM clearing sessions 45 minutes a day most days for about 4 weeks.  My initial positive experience make me think maybe this is a pathway by which I could wean off antidepressants for good.  In my case, I will take it slow.  What I mean by that is that I'll likely give the EM clearing practicing at least 6 months before considering stopping medication, and possibly longer. 

Chances are, if I decide to stop, I'll taper very slowly across half a year or longer, and continue to see my psychiatrist once every 3 months during the taper and for at least a year afterward. 

We'll see though.  I believe each person is unique.  Your history with Xanax is not the same as my history with antidepressants.  I would think that if the EM clearing practice is sufficient to get either of us off pyschotropic meds, one of the ways it would do that is by helping us think clearly enough and be in tune enough to our internal intuition such that we can make choices about discontinuing medication with wisdom and confidence.
Hello John,

I've read "Deep Clearing," purchased the CDs, and had a 45-minute EM clearing session most days now for about 4 weeks.  I'm now beginning to do EM clearing sessions without the aid of your CDs.  I ask for your opinion about my use of binaural beats.

My phone has an app where a steady binaural beat can be provided.  One can choose the hz.  I pick hz at random anywhere from 4 - 12.  The hz remains constant for my entire session, which includes all the steps of relaxation, awareness, acceptance, direct experience, witnessing.  A nice feature of this app is that I can overlay the tone with relaxing noises like crickets, campfires, ocean waves, or other such things.

The way in which I'm using binaural beats comes from reading on your website there should be variation from one session to another.  I achieve that by varying the hz session to session within a range of 4 - 12 hz, as well as changing the relaxing sounds superimposed upon the tone.

In your book you use "alpha" but if I understand you correctly, you don't mean to restrict to a technical definition of alpha as 8 - 12 hz.  Rather, you're referring to a deeply relaxed state of mind, the kind that emits electrical waves at alpha or lower, such as theta.

Could you kindly confirm if I'm going about this correctly, or educate me if not?  I'm a neophyte in sound use, but I gather you are very experienced.

Thank you so much.  I'm impressed by what I'm learning from you and seeking to build it into my daily practice.  I have given your book "Deep Clearing" a 5-star rating Amazon along with a wordy review.

-Dean
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »