Author Topic: identifying feelings  (Read 5436 times)

purplejade

• View Profile
identifying feelings
« on: December 12, 2012 »
Hi I just joined the forum, and am on my second time reading through "emotional clearing", because I want nto make sure I absorb everything and don't forget.
I am working on myself slowly, and really beginning to look at things differently than i did before, which is definitely helping me to grow spiritually.
I am not fully clear on how to deal with suppressed emotions when they surface, but my strongest experience has happened when I was playing my piano while singing. My emotions rise and make it impossible to sing. Normally I would push the emotions away so I could sing again, but this time I would just let the emotions come to the surface, and shortly after subsided. I am wondering what the emotion was. I only know that it made me cry. Does it matter that I don't know what the emotion was? Will it still clear?
It had to do wtih feeling like I really COULD do well with singing and performing, when I felt like I was really letting go and singing and playing better than I realized I even could it made me break down.
Thank you John for this book. It has taught me so much. I especially appreciate knowing that I no longer need to be blaming anyone else for the way i feel. This makes me feel responsible for my own feelings but also like I have some choice in how I wish to feel instead of blaming that on my parents or anyone else.
Angie

John Ruskan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: identifying feelings
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012 »
The basic idea behind Emotional Clearing work is to let feelings come fully into consciousness without the normal interfering actions of the mind, such as resistance, blame, avoidance, acting-out, etc. When you allowed the feelings to come up instead of pushing them away, they went thru their complete cycle and started to clear. 

You don't necessarily need to recognize the feeling. Sometimes there's just a big release of tension which is very healing. As you get more into the work, however, you will be able to specifically recognize your feelings, and this is desirable and important for in-depth healing.

From your description, it may be that your feelings have something to do with not being good enough. When you realized that you could perform well there may have been the release of the self-doubt.

Of course, as an artist, you have other options available. Instead of pushing feelings away when you are performing, you include them in the performance/composition. But there are even more sophisticated approaches to using your art as a means to emotional wellness, which I talk about in my book "Emotion and Art" which I would recommend for you.

purplejade

• View Profile
Re: identifying feelings
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013 »
Thank you so much for your reply. I was thinking of ordering that book and think I really will. I am on my 2nd time reading Emotional Clearing, which I never do, but know this book is worth knowing, and not just reading through.