Author Topic: Am I thinking instead of feeling?  (Read 4493 times)

ami

• View Profile
Am I thinking instead of feeling?
« on: November 28, 2017 »
Hello Smiley
I have one more question
Is it ok, when I`m in "meditation", (self) processing, to lead myself through emotions, kind as you do in youtube videos  ...does that mean that I'm not in "meditation", because  thinking  is included? Or I m doing it correctly Smiley
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017 by John Ruskan »

John Ruskan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017 »
Can you explain what you mean by "lead myself through emotions."

ami

• View Profile
Re: Question
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017 »
I`ll try to
When I do the process, if i feel emotion, i say to myself to stick with that emotion, to feel it, to detach, remember myself to breathe...ask my self if there is another feeling behind etc :)  guide myself through process

John Ruskan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Am I thinking instead of feeling?
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017 »
Taking a feeling through the processing steps does not mean you are thinking. You are in the meditative witness mode, watching and observing the feeling as you apply the steps. Maintaining awareness of the feeling is not the same as thinking about the feeling. You are not caught up in the mind just because you are aware of and are exercising discretion about how you relate to the feelings.

In processing, you want to quiet mental activity so that subconscious core emotional feelings can come into view. It's normal for thoughts to jump up and interfere with processing but you just put them aside unless they have a strong emotional component, in which case the feelings behind the thoughts then become the focus of your process.

As you practice entering the alpha-state meditative processing mode, you should be able to feel it. You should know when you are there, and you should be able to tell when the mind has jumped up and taken you away. You want to stay with feeling the feeling in the body, in the moment, and not get swept up into thinking about the feeling - what to do about it, how that other person is to blame, why is this happening to you, etc.

ami

• View Profile
Re: Am I thinking instead of feeling?
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017 »
:) thank you