Author Topic: Sleeping with audios  (Read 2732 times)

Amy

• View Profile
Sleeping with audios
« on: March 13, 2020 »
Hi John,
I was wondering if the meditation audios that I purchased would still be just as affective if one falls asleep during them ?
I do know of techniques to avoid falling asleep but I just really wanted an answer to that question in particular.
Will they still be just as affective, somewhat affective or not at all if one falls asleep during the meditation audios
Thank you so much

John Ruskan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Sleeping with audios
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020 »
"Sleeping with audios"? Sorry, I can't really give you advice on your sex life, and you should capitalize his name anyway --- oh, wait a minute, I see what you're going for.

Of course, if you're sleeping through much of the programs, one would assume it's not as effective as if you were awake and consciously taking it in. There has been talk about subliminal programming that reaches the subconscious mind when the conscious mind is out, and people have tried wearing earphones all night in bed to attempt to reprogram the subconscious. Maybe this is what you are thinking of when you ask if the programs can be at all effective when you are asleep, but I really couldn't say. It's possible, but probably doubtful. Maybe you can testify if this works or not - I don't have any experience with this.

If you go asleep only occasionally when listening to the programs, it's not a problem. If you go asleep all the time, first, obviously, you probably need more regular sleep and rest. The programs put you into a deep alpha state, somewhat bypassing the conscious left-brain mind, so that your body will take over and give you what you need.

Another possibility is that sleep is a form of resistance to the subconscious emerging.

Probably a good strategy to start cultivating would be to listen to the programs in sitting position - preferably meditation pose on the floor where you're not leaning back but sitting up straight. Even if you didn't have the sleep issue, this is a good thing to do for at least half the time you spend with the programs. It develops a different perspective that for me works best when I am processing any heavy emotional material. At least start out sitting up straight and then lean back against a wall if you need to. It is important to develop the capacity for meditation pose. You should be able to sit in meditation pose for 40 minutes easily, but this comes with practice.