Author Topic: Connected breathing  (Read 10627 times)

osamipo

• View Profile
Connected breathing
« on: November 20, 2011 »
Greetings to all,

And special thanks to Mr. Ruskan for developing system that is of great help in my personal journey. At this point, along with the work of Michael Brown (The Presence Process author) i find Emotional Clearing  most valuable tool for dealing with emotions.

In the last year or so, I work extensively with the breath and I wanted to explore further. Since I have no opportunity to take part in Rebirthing or Holotropic Breathwork seminar, I have some questions for John and other members of this forum.

I am specially interested in Conscious Connected Breathing method (no pause between exhalation and inhalation, relaxed exhaling, faster pace) for bringing up suppressed feelings and integrating them. Michael Brown teaches gentle 15-minute twice a day version of this in his work and John Ruskan calls it Integrating Breath. I worked with it quite some time now. First, following instructions from The Presence Process, in which you do not necessarily breath "into" sensations (feelings) that come up. Later, reading articles on Rebirthing and Vivation I started "following strongest sensation" while breathing in this manner. It is different, and mostly more effective experience. But, I never wanted to extend my sessions for more than 20-25 minutes since there are warnings not to try this without facilitator. Now, if I want to go deeper in this process, what is your recommendation? Any experiences and opinions are welcomed.

Thanks,
Alex

John Ruskan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Connected breathing
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011 »
Hi Alex-

Nice to see you're getting serious about the work. When Leonard Orr first invented the Rebirthing Breath, he put together some things he had learned from the Kriya Yoga tradition, in which I also happen to be initiated, 40 years ago. By speeding up the connected breath, he and his group produced radical results in going into the subconscious. This has expanded into the other breath formats available.

In my view, this breath can be very useful in self-work. However, I would recommend that you think of it as that special, mind-bending peyote trip that you're going to take on special occasions, let's say a few times a month, or maybe once a week for 10 weeks. I don't see it as something you want to make an everyday practice, because its too intense. What you can do everyday is gentle Ujjayi breathing, connected. This form of gentle breathing has the same effect, drawn-out, that the speeded up connected breath has. It allows prana to build up, and do its job as it sees fit, and it gently stirs up the subconsious, so it will appear and you can then process it. You can make it your daily practice, and its not so dramatic - its grounding and nurturing.

While the breath can be helpful, more important is the sense of relaxing into the moment - as you do the practices - so that you're not seeking something. The seeking is of the mind, never satisfied, always looking for more.

I don't see any reason why would necessarily need a facilitator for the Rebirth breath - there's no danger, except you might have a hard time keeping awake, which is the main facilitators main job.

osamipo

• View Profile
Re: Connected breathing
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011 »
Thanks, John. One (well me at least) constantly needs to be reminded of importance of non-striving in personal work.