Author Topic: Experiencing the feeling  (Read 6151 times)

Peace

• View Profile
Experiencing the feeling
« on: March 02, 2014 »
When I am experiencing a feeling (in this case, fear and anxiety) I experience  it as a scene playing out in the future. I don't think that's the way to experience a feeling when doing emotional processing. (Or is it okay?) Can you describe how to experience a feeling without seeing distressing scenarios playing out in one's head?

Thanks!

jucereca

• View Profile
Re: Experiencing the feeling
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014 »
Remember what John said in a previous post:
"Suppressed feelings influence thoughts of the conscious mind more than the conscious mind can influence the suppressed feelings. If nagging thoughts of painful events keep coming up, it's just a sign that the suppressed feelings associated with the events have not yet been substantially released through processing."

When I have been faced with that issue, what I have done is to focus on the feeling regarding the mental movies that play themselves. I find myself going into the stories and then going back to the feeling. When I am consistent in going back to feeling in the body, the mental stories drop until no stories are played back or if they are played back it doesn't matter anyway.

Sometimes I find that when I am working on a feeling some images appear when I am releasing, they are just memories coming up, I just allow the images to arise naturally and dissapear organically with the process.

I guess that maybe you are approaching the work with the intention of solving or getting rid of some "problem or issue", from that perspective  one tends to fight or control what happens, hence, the thoughts of "doing it wrong". When you feel the feelings just because they are here and not because you want to attain some preferred state, then the questions and doubts dissolve and you trust the process and the very process guides you. That is what I have experienced.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2014 by jucereca »

John Ruskan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014 »
Yes!

Peace

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014 »
Wonderful response, jucereca, Thank you.

Yes indeed, I wanted a particular outcome and was striving for it. Intellectually I know that's not the route to take, but living by that principle is quite another thing :)

It is a lifelong work, but I'm glad I've started the journey.