Author Topic: Avid weight lifter has questions about ECP  (Read 5774 times)

MiKo

• View Profile
I guess I should start off with a brief summary of my background. I've had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Chronic Pelvic Pain for the past 10 years (writing the amount of yrs always takes my breath away slightly). As you can imagine I've bounced around from MD to MD over the years as well as several other medical professionals and didn't see much success. Only in the recent past couple of years was I introduced to suppressed emotions and their impact on your physical health. Fast forward a bit and I just finished reading Emotional Clearing (and really enjoyed it). I have a few questions that I want to post below and hope to get some insight on. Sorry if they range quite a bit in topic. 

I put weight lifter in the subject of this post because I know in the book You talk about exercise, particularly weight lifting, and it's affect on muscle tension and the underlying suppressed emotional energy. I do work out with weights about 3 days a week and do some jogging or swimming about 2-3 days a week as well. Although I have the fatigue I've become pretty good at gauging what's too much and what the right amount is that will actually help me feel a bit better. I use to be an athlete before my health problems and exercise is still an important part of my life albeit reduced quite a bit.  I guess my main question about this is:

- should I be doing weight lifting while trying to do clearing work in the first place?
- will a good amount of stretching and yoga counteract the tension in the muscle from weight lifting?

I have a few other questions aside from exercise:

1.)  Through a lot of introspection and paying attention to my thoughts and emotions for a good bit of time now, I can trace most of my difficulties to an underlying belief that "I'm not worthy" or "I'm not enough". This subtle but powerful belief is the filter that I experience my life through and is the creator of the thoughts and then the subsequent emotions from those thoughts. You put in your book that it's somewhat pointless to go directly at beliefs themselves but that it's the unprocessed emotions surrounding that belief that sort of hold that belief there. This was a lightbulb moment when I read it because pretty early on in journaling and therapy I figured out this underlying belief but I didn't seem to be able to consciously change it. I've now had a couple of instances where the pain/tension in my lower abdomen and pelvis has sort of dissipated a bit for brief moments. Both times I found myself meditating on the idea of total acceptance
and that I am enough and that I don't need to be anything more than I already am at this moment. I tried to concentrate more on the feeling( and both times I was in semi-sleep states in bed in the am and pm) and this is what made it happen I guess. Although I've done this twice over the span of a few months, it's very hard to stay in that place and to get back to it. I guess my question is, is this where affirmations come in? I've tried several times to sit and meditate on these feelings again but haven't had the same success. I also tried constantly being in this frame of mind but I found it left me mostly in my head and I wasn't present at all.

2) In your book you go through the chakras and energy centers. The one I've been focusing on in particular is Significance because of the limiting belief I have in that area. I know you say that you need to clear the corresponding emotions in that have to do with significance but this is where I have trouble. I find myself thinking way too much and trying to catch myself in the act of maybe trying to suppress one of these emotions but it just ends up taking me out of the present. Should I be trying to process and clear emotions as they come up in day to day situations? I know the alternative is to wait until I am in a place where I can work on myself and go back to those emotions but this is what I have a really hard time doing. I find myself in whatever particular situation to just be experiencing anxiety and then it's difficult for me to bring anything up when I am working on myself later on my own.

3) the other thing that tends to happen when I am meditating or just focusing on my body and sensations is that pain and tension in the lower abdomen and pelvis starts to knot up an sort of start moving around my abdomen. I can never seem to sense any sort of emotion attached to it. I feel like it's a ball of emotion basically that needs expression and movement but in someway unconsciously I am self rejecting. I've tried several different approaches but I can never seem to get to a catharsis I guess. I have on a few occasions listened to music that affects me emotionally or be watching a moving movie maybe and paid attention to this knot at the same time and it seems to really want to come out and builds to an unbelievable amount of pressure but I can never seem to get it over the threshold I guess. I've literally stayed with it for hours at a time sometimes. Do you have any tips on what I should do with this?  Should I not be worrying about the knot and physical sensations and just worry about the underlying emotions?

Sorry for the lengthy post and the range in subject on the questions. Thanks for any help you can give.

John Ruskan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Avid weight lifter has questions about ECP
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014 »
Back in the 80's, when I was learning about body psychology, I attended a weekend workshop given by John Pierakos, who was the well-known and respected founder of BioEnergetics. He was an MD and his specialty was approaching psychological issues through the body. Someone in the group asked him what he thought of the current body-building craze that had just started to get off the ground. He somewhat sadly said that he thought it made it much more difficult to do psychological work, driving and suppressing feelings deeper into the subconscious, making it harder to bring awareness to them.

I had a client a few years ago who was a personal trainer and body-builder himself. His chief issue was that he could not contact his feelings. I told him the Pierakos story, but he said he couldn't stop training (addiction?). We did try a few accelerated breath sessions, which seemed to help. The intense experience of the rapid breath tends to cut through the body armor which lifting supposedly creates. At first, we had a breakthrough and he thought he had found the answer, but after a few sessions the results seemed to lessen. This might be something to try however, if you can locate a Rebirthing, Holotropic or other breathwork practitioner nearby, but I think nowadays this is hard to find. Unfortunately, it's not easy to do it on your own, one reason being that the effort tends to make you drowse off, and you need someone there to just keep you awake. I talk about it a little in the EC book. If it works for you, it could be a monthly part of your routine, although it's kind of a band-aid approach to the basic problem.

Since you seem to be saying, especially in your third question, that you're not getting to the emotion, it seems highly possible that the lifting is interfering. But there's no way to prove it, except by taking a sabbatical from lifting to see what happens. Would stretching counter the tightening of the body while continuing to train? It would certainly help, but if you're still not getting to the feelings, then it's not enough if lifting is in fact the culprit. An ideal approach would be to stop lifting for 2 months, maybe continue with reasonable aerobics or swimming, shelf the goal of increasing muscle mass for a while (you've probably got enough) and continue with a hatha yoga stretching practice, which I believe will keep muscles toned so you don't lose what you've got. Don't fall into the power yoga trap, do something like the sequence posted on the emclear site - just gentle stretching while maintaining your focus on body sensations. Of course, I recommend yoga to everyone as a primary means to uncover suppressed negativity, which to a large extent is believed to be trapped in the body.

However, other factors that enter are that men in general have a hard time connecting to feelings. This might have to do with the heavy body mass compared to women, and the left brain mode most men are in. So you're not alone in having difficulty finding the feelings. What we are trying to do is evolve, however, and part of this means coming into a left-right brain, inner male-female balance. You have to determine if extreme body-building, which is primarily an aggressive, materialistic, masculine, left-brain endeavor can co-exist with this coming-into-balance agenda, and find out exactly how much of a negative influence heavy lifting is on the feeling, intuitive, right brain world that you should be developing as part of your consciousness growth.

Other questions:

1. That's great with the lightbulb. This is a concept that is not understood by most New Agers - including healers who ignorantly keep pushing the 'just change your beliefs' idea. Everything is good in this paragraph until 'Both times I found myself meditating on the idea of total acceptance and that I am enough and that I don't need to be anything more than I already am at this moment.' You want to include acceptance as part of the ECP steps, but when you're in acceptance, you're not thinking about it, if this is what you mean. Thinking about anything is more or less the state of non-acceptance, or resistance. When you drop the resistance, the mind stops, and you enter the other zone of being - being with the feeling with no thoughts about whether it should or shouldn't be there - it just is. You have to cultivate the experience of being, of shifting to another zone, and that's why we work with the Third Eye. Then, you don't want to be thinking that you are enough, etc., when you are processing. This is more thinking and another attempt to recondition yourself - what you want to go beyond. It's true that it's not easy to get to this point, but that's what you're learning. I put the sections on affirmations in the book because when I wrote it, affirmations were more popular than now. But now, I rarely advise clients to use affirmations. They can easily become misused as a reconditioning tool, it involves too much mental effort, and this is not what we are about. Continuing patiently with the process is enough.

2. As we sit with feelings, hopefully we will build the capacity to be in the moment at all times, and be able to process as feelings come up, but this is usually more difficult than sitting and giving full attention to it. Sitting with the feeling also gives you more time and opportunity to go deeper, to connect to other feelings, etc. The difficulty in bringing up the feeling when sitting seems to relate to what we have discussed.

3. You're doing well with objective awareness about your core issues and chakras, so you are doing good work now, which you should not overlook. Just becoming aware of these negative beliefs is having a helpful effect. However, it is desirable to eventually connect to specific feelings. You want to get to the core feeling in the body of 'not good enough' not only the intellectual belief. This feeling will be behind other associated emotions, for example, the emotion of depression, discouragement, or maybe even chronic fatigue. The lower body chronic pain points to possible lower chakra suppressed issues like anger, fear, sexual energy issues, power issues that will eventually be uncovered. Keep in mind that Vipassana meditation teaches you to stay with the body sensation. They believe that focusing primarily on the body is enough to clear the 'sanskaras' - their term for suppressed negative energy. So while it would be good to connect to emotional feelings, and you might consider some life-style steps to move in this direction as discussed, I would suggest you be content with awareness of body sensations alone, and assume that you can do adequate self-healing. There are a few certified EC Facilitators who actually prefer sticking with body awareness. Focusing on the body requires the same cultivated concentration as focusing on feelings. Maybe research Vipassana - Goenka. Combining the ECP tools and concepts with it I would say extends its effectiveness.

MiKo

• View Profile
Re: Avid weight lifter has questions about ECP
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014 »
Thanks for the reply John.

I think dropping the weight lifting makes sense. While it's something I do enjoy and hope to get back to in the future I wouldn't mind going without it for some time especially if it's hindering the emotional work. I plan on following the yoga routine on the website and maybe doing some jogging/swimming as well. Thanks for the advice.

As far as acceptance I guess I just need to keep working at it. I think when I was meditating on acceptance maybe I was just allowing myself to be in the moment more and accept whatever I was feeling and that's why the pain shifted. It makes sense that acceptance is more of a 'not doing' rather than a 'doing' but I think it's still on the intellectual level for me. I have to keep at it.

I should have mentioned that I did a 10 day vipassana retreat last October. It was a great experience. It was the first time my pelvic pain actually shifted (on the 10th day of course). All the tension and pain basically balled up into a knot and rose up into my abdomen. It was the first time I could really feel that it was an energy. But I've basically been using that technique with the pain for about 10 months now and no real change. As soon as I cue in on the sensation in my lower abdomen/pelvis the pain knots up and rises. I try to be nonreactive and objective with it but it pretty much always does the same thing. Just knots up and starts to oscillate around my abdomen. The more I concentrate the more intense the tension knot becomes. It's amazing how powerful it is. Anyways, I feel I've been pretty consistent for 10 months with the technique and now I'm at the point where I'm wondering there's something I'm doing or not doing that needs to change. I know even subtle things can be all the difference.

Anyways, thanks again for the reply and all your help with this. I'll keep you updated with any changes, and let me know if you can think of any advice for my vipassana sits and how I might should be working with the pain.

Thanks