Author Topic: reprogramming thoughts  (Read 5576 times)

Anna

• View Profile
reprogramming thoughts
« on: September 18, 2014 »
Hello,

EC is a part of my everyday routine, and couldn't imagine now being without it. Im so grateful for this, thank you!

I recently discovered the work of Byron Katie who promotes an investigative way to deal with negative thoughts. If by any chance members of the EC community are familiar with this approach I would love to read the opinions. I cant help but recall in Johns book the quote:

It cannot be controlled by intellectually identifying whatever is making you angry and trying to change your reaction through reprogramming yourself or others. Types of therapy in which you try to reprogram your thoughts to alter your feelings can be dangerous. If you use such an approach and appear to be successful, you have merely resuppressed your anger – or any other feeling – and it will come forth another time.

Apologies as my quotations aren't working on my keyboard. Anyway, so I was especially curious of Johns opinion of what Byron Katie calls The Work if by chance he is familiar with it.

Thanks!
Anna

John Ruskan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: reprogramming thoughts
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014 »
I've watched a few BK videos, and I would have to say that it appears there is no consideration / acknowledgement in her system for the existence of the suppressed subconscious, and the need to somehow release it. Trying to effect lasting consciousness shifting through the intellectual self-questioning she proposes appears to me as nothing less than ignorant and ludicrous. As I become more aware of how dark forces are ruling the earth, I'm tempted to think that she has been promoted specifically to mislead seekers, just like the general trend in psychotherapy today with the Cognitive emphasis. Contrast this with other more valid teachers such as Eckart Tolle who understands that there is a Pain Body that must be confronted, and who advocates a meditative approach.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014 by John Ruskan »

Anna

• View Profile
Re: reprogramming thoughts
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014 »
I too felt she was missing a major aspect of integrating painful emotions. EC has had concrete life improving results for me. I tried doing the "work" a couple of times and read her book and I only ended up frustrated and feeling strange. Its wonderful knowing and feeling that the path your on is right and when its not. Thanks John, appreciate your viewpoint as always.