Author Topic: Self-hypnosis  (Read 1871 times)

linde017

• View Profile
Self-hypnosis
« on: June 13, 2024 »
Forbes Robbins Blair has a couple of books on self-hypnosis. I'm curious, John, how you view someone using self-hypnosis and what leads to your view? I ask because you have what I believe to be wise caution about using the Law of Attraction as you view it as a mild form of black magic. Is self-hypnosis similar?

I have found much positive in your Deep Clearing process. Thank you.
Albert

John Ruskan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Self-hypnosis
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2024 »
Hypnosis, self-hypnosis, and meditation are all similar in that they induce the Alpha state. Hypnosis and self-hypnosis try to take advantage of the suggestibility of the Alpha state to recondition or reprogram the ‘subconscious’ mind towards more acceptable behavior. A classic application is to stop smoking. Suggestions are given to make smoking abhorrent.

While it may be possible to alter superficial negative behavioral patterns with contrary ‘positive’ suggestion, it’s my belief based on experience that the deep-seated negativity that we are concerned with in serious psychological work cannot be reconditioned but must be directly released. This is one of the major themes throughout my work.

It’s interesting that both Freud and Jung have stated in their writings that they tried hypnosis but discontinued the practice. They both do not elaborate further on how they were trying to use hypnosis, but I think it’s fair to infer that they were going along with the classic, traditional approach of trying to recondition. For example, if you discover a traumatic childhood event, you would visualize the event going differently, in a way that was pleasant. This kind of approach is exactly what does not work, but only serves as a band-aid, covering over the trauma, if it has any effect at all.

So while you can probably give yourself suggestions in the Alpha state to wake up at a certain time, it’s just not possible to change your suppressed negative feelings by suggesting that you are happy when you are sad, etc. Many current spokespersons however will give you exactly that advice. I once saw Bruce Lipton on London Real actually say that if you just repeat to yourself I’m happy, I’m happy….. you will be happy. Such an outrageously ignorant idea only drives the negativity deeper, and makes you wonder at the wisdom level of most people who are on the (promoted) forefront of today’s self-help movement.