Author Topic: Revenge and Integrating anger  (Read 2883 times)

jambonsambo

• View Profile
Revenge and Integrating anger
« on: February 13, 2021 »
Intuitively I feel that getting like revenge for a past violent assault that really impacted on me when I was a teenager would be cathartic and bring some closure, however the idea of experiencing these angry vengeful feelings in the body without acting them out but feeling them in the body to bring resolution seems truth to me also at times, I'm torn. Any perspectives? Is revenge ever justified or , does it integrate or does it always  just re suppress ?

John Ruskan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Revenge and Integrating anger
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021 »
Please refer to the previous posting "overcoming childhood abuse." If you truly understand the EC philosophy, you see how difficult events are drawn to you according to the negativity held inside. To act out blame and revenge is highly ignorant, and usually backfires anyway. Find the first-level emotions like anger, rage and process them. Then work with the core level feelings, like being dominated, controlled, helpless, or if its a case of physical assault, feelings of survival.

The feeling of revenge is not a suppressed feeling that needs to be processed; we regard it as a Reactive Emotional Impulse to the hurt. In your processing meditation, therefore, don't dwell on the feeling of revenge. You can spend a few minutes on it, witnessing and dis-identifying from it, but most of your processing time should be on the suppressed first-level emotions, and the the core feelings behind them.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021 by John Ruskan »

jambonsambo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021 »
Thanks for your response John , I have more clarity around this issue on reading the post you referenced. I find the intuitive draw of lashing out is a very old and bedded in reflex. It is difficult to sit with.

jambonsambo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021 »
Great to hear too that you have a new book in the works. Any idea of when we can expect to see it available?