Author Topic: Getting off xanax  (Read 2881 times)

ToPfan

• View Profile
Getting off xanax
« on: March 22, 2021 »

Hi, I'm new here. A brief history, I was a caregiver for my mom who had dementia. 6 years ago, I got on Xanax to help me sleep. My mom passed last year and now I want to get off this stuff.
With a benzodiazepine, you have to taper it and just can't quit. Question: Has anyone here used the process to help get off of prescription meds and alcohol?
    I tried doing a search but came up empty.

Thanks

John Ruskan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Getting off xanax
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021 »
I can't think of any clients I've had who went through similar withdrawal, but if you are attracted to EC work, I would suggest starting a regular EC meditation practice and see what happens. It certainly won't hurt.

ToPfan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021 »

Thanks John, I'll give it a shot.

Dean

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2022 »
I don't know the right answer but thought I'd share that I am thinking similar things.  Been on antidepressants for over 25 years.  Current regimen is 300mg bupropion, 300 mg venlafaxine, supplemented with L-Methylfolate and fish oil.

Been doing EM clearing sessions 45 minutes a day most days for about 4 weeks.  My initial positive experience make me think maybe this is a pathway by which I could wean off antidepressants for good.  In my case, I will take it slow.  What I mean by that is that I'll likely give the EM clearing practicing at least 6 months before considering stopping medication, and possibly longer. 

Chances are, if I decide to stop, I'll taper very slowly across half a year or longer, and continue to see my psychiatrist once every 3 months during the taper and for at least a year afterward. 

We'll see though.  I believe each person is unique.  Your history with Xanax is not the same as my history with antidepressants.  I would think that if the EM clearing practice is sufficient to get either of us off pyschotropic meds, one of the ways it would do that is by helping us think clearly enough and be in tune enough to our internal intuition such that we can make choices about discontinuing medication with wisdom and confidence.