Author Topic: is using journal work or writing to integrate anger a form of supression?  (Read 5252 times)

jambonsambo

• View Profile

Hi John ,

I was wondering if in your opinion using journal work or writing to integrate anger could  actually be a form of supression .I feel I am making a lot o f headway into experiencing emotions directly, one of the more uncomfortable ones is anger .I seem to find some  relief in writing or scribbling out the anger . I am aware that this could possibly be a form of suppression . I remember that you metioned in your book that it is more important to experience rather than suppress . I am unsure if maybe writing is actually an aid to helping me experience anger or a form of projection and blame that is supressing anger . The writing technique I use is a  very stream of conciousness like style ,just feeling the anger and letting my hand write what comes into my mind  .

Jam

John Ruskan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Good question. I discuss this at length in my new book Emotion and Art, soon to be posted on the site. If you're using your art (the writing) as a means to express any feeling, you're basically still in the "get it off your chest" camp, which I feel has limited therapeutic potential, maybe even suppressive, especially when the expression is accompanied by projection and blame, as you say.

The key is to shift to the place where you're using the art to experience the feelings, not to primarily express them. Your subtle intention is not to get rid of, but to be with. Then, the art can definitely help uncover the subconscious as you allow the stream of consciousness.

The shift occurs through awareness of what you're doing, your intention, and then using the witness to be with what is emerging. You also apply the steps of processing to the art experience, taking responsibility, etc.